Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Strange childhood memories

I first must point out this post is a true labor of love. Yesterday I didn't go to bed because I have to work at Bed Bath and Beyond tonight, I deprived myself of sleep so right when I got home from the P. Farm this morning I would pass out and would be able to sleep all day.

As I was lying in bed I started to think about some childhood memories, some are thoughts I had in my head, that started to make me laugh. So I got out of bed to blog about them.

1) When I was little, probably 6 years old, I thought that the songs played on the radio were performed at the radio station. I grasped the concept of radio being broadcast from a radio station to my house, but I guess I didn't understand they were just playing a recording.

2) I used to call in to "Power 99" and request songs like "I am a Child of God" and "Give Said the Little Stream."

3) When I was 4, and I remember this very vividly, I was in the dining room in the first house in Farmington and I called Scott the "P-word" (think male anatomy.) Mom washed my mouth out with soap. I didn't understand what the word meant or why it was bad, but I remember reminding myself "Dr. Snow can say it, I can't."

4) Laurel told me a story about the "Laotian burglars" and from that day on that was my biggest fear. I must have been 20 before I realized Laotians are people from the country of Laos. I am convinced it is because of this story my biggest fear is encountering a burglar.

5) One night Stephanie was babysitting, I was probably 7 because we were sitting in the gold shag carpet of the second house in Farmington, and she told me "punks" were sacrificing cats in the Rice's field. I NEVER went into the field...not once. I carried buckets of corn in the corn field, but I never went to the field below the house.

6) Nana had a "boys bathroom" and a "girls bathroom" and I hated it. One night I had to go to the bathroom, and I had been putting it off as long as possible because Nana's house scared me at night, I am sure it had something to do with Laotians. Finally I had to pee so bad I couldn't hold it any longer, so I went running up stairs in the dark and went to the bathroom. When I was done I wanted to get back to the TV room as fast as possible so I came running around her banister and was taking the long flight of stairs two at a time when I encountered Stephanie sitting in the stairs with one of Nana's creepy Eskimo masks on. All I remember is staring to cry and clawing my way back up the stairs while Stephanie followed me screaming.

7) I loved staying up late watching TV with Scott, the problem was I always fell asleep first so I would wake up alone in the Family Room. I hated running to my room in the dark so I would make a trail of lights. I would turn on the Family room lights and the hall lights, turn off the Family room lights and turn on the office lights, then turn off the hall lights then turn on the bedroom lights, turn off the office lights, then memorize all the junk on the floor in my bedroom, turn off the bedroom lights and sprint to my bed. The panic of the Laotian Burglars really set in here. These nights were even worse when Scott would make me watch a scary movie...one comes to mind, "Angel of Death." I was terrified of this movie but I watched it because Scott was watching it and I really had two options. Option 1) watch the scary movie and walk to the bedroom with Scott; or Option 2) not watch the scary movie and have to go to bed alone. I always made the wrong choice...I would watch the movie, be scared out of my mind and fall asleep right at the end and would run to bed alone anyway.

Anyway, now that these charming childhood tales are out of my head I might be able to get to sleep.

Peace

2 comments:

  1. When I first read this post I was going to apologize for telling you about Laotian burglars. But the more I read your post, the more I realized that Stephanie's stuff was WAY worse than mine! Punks in the field? Eskimo masks at night? Ya, way worse!

    But still... sorry about the Laotians, man. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard when I saw you "clawing" up the stairs back then and I still laughed HARD today. I believe you were also crying "no, no, no!" as you were clawing. So sad, but funny!

    Also, didn't you come to the field with me when we had to gather dried cow patties so that Scott would let us on the trampoline? Or was that before Stephanie told you about cat sacrifices. Poor kid....Oh, I just read your story again...you meant the field below Rice's house, not our house. Still had to add the cow patty story anyway. :) And I remember hearing that story as well. She was sitting in the blue winged-back chair. I just didn't remember it was Stephanie telling us. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete